cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Polivy <>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] 'cordova platform update' alias for rm, add in cordova-ios
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2016 18:38:19 GMT
As a user of cordova (and list lurker), I thought I'd chime in and say Carlos hit on some very
good points. In theory I like the idea of treating platforms like build artifacts, but in
reality -- at least for my current usage -- things are far from that. Making this type of
change will make my upgrades more challenging. I'm willing to live with that, but PLEASE make
sure you do a backup (or tell the user to) "just in case" before nuking their directory.

Right now, I find I do more native (non CLI) development on iOS compared to other platforms.
I'd have to do a full inventory of all of my native customizations, but as Carlos mentions
it is a combination of:

- working around bugs/limitations in the tools
- additional AppDelegate customizations for native analytics libraries and error handling
as our app is remotely hosted
- the addition of dependencies as cocoapods
- other build/plist customizations which are far simpler to modify directly, e.g. adding an
entitlements file to support universal links, or adding ITSEncryptionExportComplianceCode
to the plist to simplify app submissions

Anyway, please just keep in mind those of us who may be doing things the "old way" as you
move forward here.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carlos Santana []
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] 'cordova platform update' alias for rm, add in cordova-ios

I was never a fan of the "platform update" command since it was not fully
tested across the board.
like all the permutations possible to/from upgrade. meaning going for very
old like 3.6 to 5.1

If we do this I think it will break a lot of people that got used to
changing files inside platform/ios/ in terms of changing XCode settings in
pbxproj like:
- use story board to launch app to be able to support ipad pro
- some initialization code in AppDelegate
- Any native code they added like NativeUI to mix web and native
- Changes to StoryBoard to adjust webview inside native view
- Build and Signing settings in project or target in XCode
- Installation of cocoapods
- Xcode Build phases scripts

Meaning that they will need to restore or generate all this things with
hooks or plugins.

I know that Darryl Pogue and Tommy have  projects where they can
successfully treat platfforms folder as 100% build artifact that they can
throw away. But to get there is not super easy

"platform update ios" has being scoped to only touch the CordovaLib xcode
project, leaving the app xcode project not touched that's why it's being
safe all along

What was the root cause of the recent problems with 4.1.0 for update?

Maybe we can restrict update command to major version,  meaning going from
4.x to 4.x is OK but from 3.x to 4.x is not OK.

In the current release of the IBM MobileFirst, were we have a CLI to wrap
cordova commands we had a "$ mfp cordova platform update"
We took a backup of the platform folder and create a zip with a timestamp
We did this just in case the command was destructive and user didn't lost
files just in case they didn't have all files checked-in/backup

So doing a backup would be good if we move forward with this destructive
action of doing a platform remove