cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Cordova-common 1.1.0 release
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:20:44 GMT
I'm not big fan of dynamic dependencies, but I'm fan a predictable and
reproducible environments

managing dependencies during development is much different than managing
dependencies when go live into production.

Take into account that not just the cordova code that runs on the phone
runtime I consider as production code, the cordova code that users get for
tooling I also consider as production code as it's used in devops systems.

That's why is best practice to bundle all the code that the nodejs server
is going to need when going into production, and recently have heard that
folks are using docker images that build nodejs  core binary with static
libraries to not rely on the dynamic libraries from the operating system.

If I install a piece of software component version 1.2.3 today, and install
version 2.3.0 a week after I'm expecting to reproduce the same environment.
With the way npm handles dependecies, and folks declare dependencies in
pacakge.json we can cordova can only control one level down in dependency
tree.

That's why npmshrinkwrap is used when producing release build or just
bundle dependency with release build.

I think in npm3 npmshrinkwrap function was improved to be more deterministic