cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Holz <h...@hamburg.de>
Subject Late Response: Does Cordova make Developer happy
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 00:45:06 GMT

Hi,

in the last two month I supported Cordova on stackoverflow a lot and I want to give you a
quick overview:

Questions per month about 1000, unanswared about 75%.

Ionic: 550/65%

Telerik: 115/64%

NativeScript: 18/64%

jQuery: 10000/44%

My peronal result of response is, that I got an accept of my answers on about every 7. answer.
A lot of my answers and the most of my comments got no response.

There are two main types of Cordova users, which are asking:

– The absolut beginner

– The Middle-Type: one, who is in the middle of a project, but less experience on how to
handle projects and writing code.

The Beginner-Type (From my feeling about 80% from all):

My favorite is: «I want to make a service like Facebook. What do I need?».

They do not have experience/knowledge in handling a project, how to write clean code … They
think it is just screwing some HTML, CSS and JS together. They put  everything of scripts,
libraries  together, which they get.

The basics are missing.

The Middle–Type:

The standard problem is, missing or wrong Content-Security-Policy. And the other problem is,
they do not read the docs or they can’t find the info.

From my feeling: About 50% have problems with event-driven-software.

The less rate of answered questions comes from askers which have a max. reputation of 50 on
stackoverflow. A lot of them are starting to write software and have chosen Cordova, because
it seams to be easy.

The answering of «real» questions is from my feeling in a rate of 50%..

Quit a lot of trouble  is coming from the Cordova-daugthers, like PhoneGap, Ionic, … «I
want to integrate plugin xyz. It doesn’t work».

What should be done in my opinion?

1. We should more populate, maybe create a slogan: Write clean HTML, CSS, JS, then your Cordova
App will work.

2. We should write in the top of «Get Started Fast», that there are some skills to build
Hybrid-Apps.

3. We should have a small section, where we write what the best way is to make Cordova apps
unusable.

4. We should make more clear what the difference between Cordova, Ionic, PhoneGap, … is.

Greets from the Canary Islands,

Joerg

Jörg Holz | +49-175-640 35 80
holz@hamburg.de