cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan J. Salva" <>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Cordova Style Guide
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 01:53:58 GMT

Any contributions you can provide would be most welcome... especially if you can help us apply
that style guide to existing docs. We're making a big push to improve the documentation this
year, but it's hard work and often gets prioritized below things like bug fixes to the actual

It all starts with a pull request :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Posener []
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Cordova Style Guide

Gerday, Dmitry,
I'm a bit of a documentation pedant.
I have been "monitoring" Cordova development for a few months now, with the initial intent
of wanting to contribute to improving the documentation (and then, perhaps to contributing
to the code base).
The thing that has struck me in this time is that there appears to be NO documentation style
standards.  Yes, the documents you reference go some of the way towards what I am looking
for but they could be a lot better (eg, is it "E.g.,", "eg,", "e.g.,", is it "Cordova" or
"cordova", is it "database" or "data base", do you put a comma before the "and" in the last
of a list of comma separated items (eg, is it "a, b, c, and d" or is it "a, b, c and d"),
do we employ USA-English or UK-English (or both), etc).
Further, it appears that some contributors "pick up" others with their code style standard
breaches (I have seen "please insert a space here", "please lint this", etc), but I rarely
see anyone picking up documentation style standards beaches.
Without letting my ego get in the way, I'm happy to contribute a suggested list of style standards
(that I use when developing Android and Windows apps using Cordova) as well as acting in a
Quality Assurance role with the documentation.
As you probably know, the Cordova documentation is quite regularly critcised all over the
web.  Rather than be just another one of these criicisers, I'm happy "to put my time where
my mouth is" and contribute.  I (and others) believe we can do a lot better here.  What do
you think?

*Rob Posener*
0419 012 627

On 27 January 2016 at 11:55, Dmitry Blotsky <> wrote:

> Hey folks,
> I know we used to have a style guide on the wiki, but that seems long
> dead. I created a JIRA for a new Cordova-wide style guide, covering
> most of the languages we use (feel free to add others). The JIRA is here:
> d011db47%7c1&sdata=iBwCcS7cBzD%2fnsj79mTPQCFzWUTUUm%2fkBlSTPmBBBFk%3d
> Kindly,
> Dmitry
View raw message