cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Nikhil Khandelwal <nikhi...@microsoft.com>
Subject Docs versioning scheme
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2016 21:38:24 GMT
Should we version our docs on every major version (instead of minor version) of cordova CLI
that comes out? Should the next version of the docs be "6.x"? Honestly, not much changes every
minor release and maintaining multiple copies has quite a few downsides w.r.t. SEO (referring
to older versions of docs), slow docs builds, huge website duplication.

Lot of our docs relate to platform updates and we need clear sections within them that specify
the version of the platform for which the docs apply to. For example, Android 5.1 will introduce
new lifetime concepts which will be part of Cordova 6.0 docs release. It's best for the text
of the docs itself to have something along the lines of "This applies to cordova-android >
5.1"

Similarly, significant future updates to CLI/Lib features can contain the same "This applies
to cordova > 6.2".

I think it will lead to a simpler model on our website and prevent future version explosion
[1].

Thanks,
Nikhil

[1] http://imgur.com/vkeNvUL