cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Kotikov (Akvelon)" <v-vlk...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Old platforms support deprecation
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 19:36:12 GMT
Agree about 6 months. I suggested next Cordova major version as a deadline due to two reasons:
this definitely will be a breaking change, so we'll need for major bump anyway; also the Cordova
5.0 lives for about 8 months (since Apr 2015), so I think Cordova 6 will live for approximately
the same time.

Regarding the other platforms (WebOS, Ubuntu) - I was thinking about "soft" deprecation -
i.e. drop support only for that platforms where we have an implementation for PlatformApi
(Android, iOS, Windows, probably OSX), and leave other platforms as-is. But if everybody is
ok about total platform-specific code removal, this might be even better, because then we'll
be able to cut out a great chunk of legacy code and, probably, get rid of a number of dependencies.

---------------
Best regards, Vladimir

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Gill [mailto:stevengill97@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2016 8:39 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Old platforms support deprecation

I think depreciation should be our usual 6 months instead of cordova 7. Who knows how fast
or slow cordova 7 will come out.

Doing this, it would mean we would drop support for the platforms that don't update to PlatformAPI.

We have already started the process for deprecating amazon-fireos and wp8.
We would need to include FFOS since I don't see anyone working on it at all. We can contact
LG about webos and see if they will update. Ubuntu might get the update by then. OSX already
has a PR for PlatformAPI changes.

I think this sounds fine. Deprecated platforms would still work with old versions of cordova.