cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CLI Templates
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:09:00 GMT
Oh I'm late on this thread.

Latest code is in master cordova-cli and cordova-lib
you have to link lib to cli to get it to show up.

if you are lazy like me you can do "npm install -g
csantanapr/cordova-cli-dev"
To see the help "cordova help create"
--template=<PATH|NPM PACKAGE|GIT URL> ... use a custom template located
locally, in NPM, or GitHub.
        --template=<PATH|NPM PACKAGE|GIT URL> ... use a custom template
located locally, in NPM, or GitHub.
        --copy-from|src=<PATH> .................. deprecated, use
--template instead.
        --link-to=<PATH> ........................ symlink to custom www
assets without creating a copy.

The goal is to help people getting started by using a package from npm as
starting point, I see the samples that Raymond produces being used with the
--template flag for novice users to get a sample running faster. also
opening the door for web frameworks to have their cordova template in npm,
or plugin creators to share templates that uses their plugin, and declare
the plugin in config.xml

1. Omar
what you describe in your list what was implemented
The only thing, that was not implemented because was not in the proposal
and not discuss was ~/.cordova/config.json

I didn't added because I think there should be a better architecture for
config. That's another proposal I'm thinking on doing but it looks like how
npm does config
For example  have "cordova config" cli
cordova config set template=my-app-hello
cordova config ls
and so...
so default configs can be override using the CLI

2. Dmitry
Let's have a hangout and let's, talk because I don't understand what is the
problem that --template is causing,
I don't understand if you don't want the flag present, or the
implementation, or you want to keep --copy-from as it is today.
Email is not helping to communicate what is what you think that is broken

3. Simon
There is no much documentation other than the help, and mentioned in the
docs.
Will love some help feedback and help on docs for this .
https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/blob/master/www/docs/en/dev/guide/cli/index.md
https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/blob/master/doc/create.txt#L14

Finally nothing is writing in stone, we can change, remove, add to this as
we iterate.

I thought I follow the our community practices as best I understood.
Wrote a proposal, communicated in the mailing list, got feedback to change
the original proposal to not exclude platforms/plugins and other changes.
had pointers to PR, JIRA, proposal, discussion, waited for feedback on PR,
gave a heads up on that there was no more feedback and everything that was
discuss was implemented.

I saw Dmitry'ss comments just after we merge, but I try to give enough
heads up. And will like to understand better what are his concerns.