cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Revert Cordova plugins to work with default pinned versions
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 04:02:57 GMT
+1 to keep cordova-cli working out of the box when not specifying a version.
pinning everything will make cordova-cli more stable and controllable

As far of backtracking and stopping releases, the way I seet it plugins and
platforms get voted, get released, posted to apache dist and npm and
announced this should continue and keep releases going out as normal.

having something mark latest in npm doesn't defined what's released, it's
just a convenience for tagging, for example take npm@1.x npm@2.x and npm@3.x,
only one version can be marked 'latest', all exist on npm

  'dist-tags':
   { latest: '3.5.0',
     next: '3.5.1',
     'latest-2': '2.14.12',
     'v3.x-latest': '3.5.0',
     '3.x-latest': '3.5.0',
     '3.x-next': '3.5.1',
     'v3.x-next': '3.5.1',
     'next-2': '2.14.13',
     'latest-1': '1.4.29' },

Cordova CLI and pinned things to Cordova-CLI doesn't defined the releases
of the different components of the project. It just an utility with some
brain tooling that knows what works with what.

I think we should think on how to expose the dependency graph between the
engines and plugins, today this seats only plugin.xml, I think we should
see if we can duplicate this info into package.json that way is easier to
access only this metadata to put together this dependency graph and let
others figure what combinations will work.
We can also look into leveraging a convention with creative dist-tags to do
this.