cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] cordova-ios-4.x release (for real)
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2015 12:55:19 GMT
Mystery solved.

cordova-ios has devDependencies in the root package.josn. This will
install a "node_modules" in the root, which npm pack will ignore and
git will as well (since it is in the .gitignore). However, even though
it is not packed, it will affect 'npm pack', as I will explain...

I hadn't run "npm install" in a while, and I had q, nopt, and glob in
there from a previous "bundledDependencies":
https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/commit/a56cb22ee3f60f9c71abcf200aec1e96e324e343

So when I ran 'npm pack', this affected the packing of nested
node_modules because at the root those modules where there. I think.

If I ran a fresh "npm install" at the root, 'npm pack` seems fine (the
missing folders are there) but because of this weird behaviour I think
we should run `npm pack` without the root `node_modules`.

Any other explanation on what's going on, and what's the best way to
fix this? (npm install, then npm pack? or remove root node_modules?).
I'd rather find an "automated" way through coho rather than do this
manually just in case it happens again. Removing root node_modules
won't work in the generic case since cordova-android has
bundledDependencies.

I tried using .npmignore and it didn't work (at least for npm@2.11.3)

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 4:10 AM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
> A regular `tar -cvzf` the missing folders are included, it's just `npm
> pack` not liking my local repo for some reason.
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 3:51 AM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is certainly bizarre.
>>
>> I've verified that my local repo copy of the cordova-ios 4.0.x branch
>> does have those modules, then ran "npm pack" on the repo folder (which
>> coho create-archive calls):
>>
>> ----
>> [cordova-ios (4.0.x)]$ npm pack --verbose
>> npm info it worked if it ends with ok
>> npm verb cli [ '/Users/shazron/.nvm/versions/node/v0.12.7/bin/node',
>> npm verb cli   '/Users/shazron/.nvm/versions/node/v0.12.7/bin/npm',
>> npm verb cli   'pack',
>> npm verb cli   '--verbose' ]
>> npm info using npm@2.11.3
>> npm info using node@v0.12.7
>> npm verb cache add spec .
>> npm verb addLocalDirectory
>> /Users/shazron/.npm/cordova-ios/4.0.0/package.tgz not in flight;
>> packing
>> npm verb tar pack [ '/Users/shazron/.npm/cordova-ios/4.0.0/package.tgz',
>> npm verb tar pack   '/Users/shazron/Documents/git/apache/cordova-ios' ]
>> npm verb tarball /Users/shazron/.npm/cordova-ios/4.0.0/package.tgz
>> npm verb folder /Users/shazron/Documents/git/apache/cordova-ios
>> npm info prepublish cordova-ios@4.0.0
>> npm verb addLocalTarball adding from inside cache
>> /Users/shazron/.npm/cordova-ios/4.0.0/package.tgz
>> npm verb afterAdd
>> /Users/shazron/.npm/cordova-ios/4.0.0/package/package.json not in
>> flight; writing
>> npm verb afterAdd
>> /Users/shazron/.npm/cordova-ios/4.0.0/package/package.json written
>> cordova-ios-4.0.0.tgz
>> npm verb exit [ 0, true ]
>> npm info ok
>> ---
>>
>> After expanding the .tgz I found that the modules mentioned are *not*
>> there, but I don't know why.
>>
>> However, when I check out a fresh copy of cordova-ios and "npm pack"
>> the 4.0.x branch there, the modules *are* there in the .tgz! Chalk
>> this one up to the C-Files (cue X-Files theme).
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Carlos Santana <csantana23@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Currently finding a discrepancy when recreating the archive
>>>
>>> The tgz dist/ [1] is missing 3 node modules, they are located in git [2]
>>> Running the command coho create-archive --tag 4.0.0 -r ios --dest test-ios4/
>>> I ran with npm@2.11.3 and npm@3.3.12 and was able to get all three in
>>> expected location
>>>
>>> bin/node_modules/cordova-common/node_modules/glob
>>> bin/node_modules/cordova-common/node_modules/q
>>> bin/node_modules/ios-sim/node_modules/nopt
>>>
>>> [1]:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cordova/CB-10147/cordova-ios-4.0.0.tgz
>>> [2]: https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/tree/4.0.0/bin/node_modules

Grebnov agree in