cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Philipp Kursawe <>
Subject [DISCUSS] Loading plugins async or on demand
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:39:56 GMT
I am new to the list, and somewhat new to Cordova.

I wonder why all plugins are loaded before "deviceready" is emitted? I
understand for plugins that extend the hosts "navigator" object to mimic
webbrowser functionality like location or sensors you might want to have
them guaranteed to be accessible via global objects on "navigator" once the
app has been loaded.
Was there ever an async/on demand approach considered?
Like "cordova.getPlugin("").then(maps) {}"

I am asking because I would like to reduce the startup time. Loading the
webview already takes a lot of time. Loading all JS takes another fair
amount of time all the while cordova is busy loading all plugins. And I
don't need any of those plugins functionality right after startup.

Happy coding,