cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Mefire O. <ommen...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] CLI Templates
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2015 22:34:19 GMT

We already have support for the --template flag in Cordova.

However, it currently only supports NPM packages and GIT URLs, no local folder.
The local folder scenario is currently being handled by --copy-from (only www and config.xml
are copied)  and --link-to.

We also have a way of specifying default templates: throught the json file: cordova_project/.cordova/config.json.

I think we should:
   - deprecate --copy-from
   - update the current --template logic to support local folders in addition to NPM and GIT
URLs
   - fallback to using the  'cordova-hello-world' template when a critical option/file/folder
isn’t present in the supplied template (e.g: user did not specify app_id, app_name or supplied
template has no www folder)
   - document .cordova/config.json (how it can be used to set default templates)
   - copy platforms/plugins folders when creating from a template

Thanks,
Omar Mefire

-----Original Message-----
From: Carlos Santana [mailto:csantana23@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:48 AM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] CLI Templates

Hi Dmitry
1.  It was discuss in the mailing list, that use case #1 was not need it, and to be replace
by --template, user don't have to have config.xml and other cordova specific files they will
be created. So the reason to deprecate --copy-from 2.  yes it's similar to a cp or git clone,
but also a download of npm, it will replace app name and id if they are passed in to create
command if template contains config.xml they will get replace, no night mare not that many
files to add if template purposely missing just config.xml and empty folders for hooks, plugins,
platform. template should have a www and any other files outside www they want in their template
like res/resource/  (cordova uses res, ionic uses resources, etc..) .gitignore, .editorconfig,
pacakge.json, etc.. any other files they which their app to have that template will get them
started with.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 11:10 PM Dmitry Blotsky <dblotsky@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the summary, Carlos! Sorry, I hadn’t read the whole thread
> when I sent my question. I read up after your email, and I have a
> better grasp on it now. My new questions are below.
>
> 1. What is the `cordova create` command then doing if it’s copying
> (potentially) the whole app it’s trying to create? The `--copy-from`
> flag creates fresh copies of Cordova-specific files and only copies
> the `www` folder, which is app-agnostic anyway.
> 2. Isn’t the new flag basically the same as an invocation of `cp` or
> `git clone`? And if we’re going into the realm of examining the
> template and “filling in” potentially missing files, isn’t that a
> logical nightmare since there are so many possible things that could be missing in an
app?

> Kindly,
> Dmitry
>
> > On Dec 5, 2015, at 7:00 AM, Carlos Santana <csantana23@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The email thread has the details but in summary:
> > It doesn't handle npm and git as source It doesn't copy everything
> > By adding npm and git having the flag copy-from it's confusing.
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 9:04 PM Dmitry Blotsky
> > <dblotsky@microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hey folks. Sorry I'm late to the party, but why is `--copy-from`
> >> not sufficient?
> >>
> >> Kindly,
> >> Dmitry

I was

> [...]