cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Parashuram N <panar...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Deprecate cordova-wp8
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2015 20:51:24 GMT
I pinged the folks here on VS team to get an idea of number of people building for WP8. Looks
like this is still a significant number (more than 10%) and almost 2000 unique users building
for WP8 per month. Can we delay the deprecation for 3 more months to see if this number can
go down ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse [mailto:purplecabbage@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:06 AM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Deprecate cordova-wp8

We've talked about it for awhile, but never moved on it. cordova-wp8 has been a work horse
that seen us through tough times but the sun is setting.

cordova-windows has been a viable alternative for some time now, and allows developers to
target newer device features from wp8.1 and wp10 as well.
Removing the responsibility of implementing changes in this now ancient code base will free
many of us to focus on making the windows universal workflow better.

I would like to see this wrapped up by the end of the year, which for me is the end of next
week.

Some suggestions of what needs to happen next :
- display warning message in cli when devs type `cordova platform add wp8` ( next cordova-lib/cli
release )
- provide a plugin-dev migration guide outlining how to leverage existing C# code in a windows-universal
application ( I will do this )
- update repos / documentation with polite wording to move on
- close a bunch of wp8 related issues in jira with "won't fix'
- put wp8 out to pasture

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
  Jesse

@purplecabbage
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=risingj.com&data=01%7c01%7ctoddmosc%40microsoft.com%7c627f22cbc05040478d9808d2fb4bb85c%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=baC3YZLF3cU%2fbC5ZYH7QvBtpyYtxBhJhkQd57sERCC0%3d