cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Blotsky <dblot...@microsoft.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CLI Templates
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 05:18:36 GMT
The `--template` flag currently there is the one that was added as per this discussion. I think
in the future we should refrain from adding code before a discussion completes, especially
if there is contention. At the very least, we should probably hold a vote.

I’m definitely not a fan of adding flags just for the purpose of very specific convenience,
but if I’m alone in that opinion then let’s do whatever the majority decides.

Kindly,
Dmitry

> On Dec 8, 2015, at 2:34 PM, Mefire O. <ommenjik@microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> We already have support for the --template flag in Cordova.
>
> However, it currently only supports NPM packages and GIT URLs, no local folder.
> The local folder scenario is currently being handled by --copy-from (only www and config.xml
are copied)  and --link-to.

> We also have a way of specifying default templates: throught the json file: cordova_project/.cordova/config.json.
>
> I think we should:
>   - deprecate --copy-from
>   - update the current --template logic to support local folders in addition to NPM and
GIT URLs
>   - fallback to using the  'cordova-hello-world' template when a critical option/file/folder
isn’t present in the supplied template (e.g: user did not specify app_id, app_name or supplied
template has no www folder)
>   - document .cordova/config.json (how it can be used to set default templates)
>   - copy platforms/plugins folders when creating from a template
>

> Thanks,
> Omar Mefire

by --template, user don't have to have config.xml and other cordova specific files they will
be created. So the reason to deprecate --copy-from 2.  yes it's similar to a cp or git clone,
but also a download of npm, it will replace app name and id if they are passed in to create
command if template contains config.xml they will get replace, no night mare not that many
files to add if template purposely missing just config.xml and empty folders for hooks, plugins,
platform. template should have a www and any other files outside www they want in their template
like res/resource/  (cordova uses res, ionic uses resources, etc..) .gitignore, .editorconfig,
pacakge.json, etc.. any other files they which their app to have that template will get them
started with.

<

I was
not

> [...]