cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Julien Bouquillon [revolunet]" <jul...@revolunet.com>
Subject Cordova on Github
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2015 20:19:36 GMT
Dear cordova commiters, community, users,

Please let me raise another red flag here about not fully embracing GitHub
for the Cordova project.

I'm just a long time cordova user, fanboy, local evangelist, meetup
organiser... but i can feel the daily users frustration when facing
official cordova repos on Github.

Note : i'm totally ignorant on the behind-the-scenes of the cordova project
organisation/policy/rules, so please excuse my naïve interpretations.

Cordova is a fabulous project, complex by nature, which evolves
permanently, so users encounters various issues... which is very fine in
the OSS world !

What is NOT fine in the modern OSS world is not being able to easily access
other users feedback, and not being able to share experience, submit
issues, elaborate with random users, and hopefully, finally being able to
submit a pull request, understand what's going on under the hood, or just
quickly fix a documentation error for the next user.

I think, as a community, we loose an unestimable amount of valuable input,
every single day, due to JIRA friction and opacity.

And this is unacceptable for an open-source project, which is supposed to
build and grow on its community.

Of course, me way also get a lot of trash input via GitHub; but every
valuable input is worth it to improve such an ambitious project imho.

Issues with the current setup :

 - Repos have no visible issues
 - Repos have no visible releases/changelog
 - PR are not linked to issues (except the cryptic JIRA code in the title)
 - Bad bad bad SEO
 - JIRA is not user-friendly at all (think cordova average user)
 - JIRA needs dedicated account (we have enough ?)
 - Lack of transparency
 - (Slow, ugly..)

If you look at numbers, some recent OSS projects embracing GitHub succeeded
in managing massive community input (this may need dedicated workers) and
benefit the input of hundreds of commiters; see for example Angular, react,
react-native, bootstrap... This is VERY powerful, and Google, Facebook,
Microsoft and more already got that.

Moving to GitHub will be very beneficial to Cordova community and
popularity, and thus to the project viability in the long run, in case this
is your concern.

I know i'm pushing hard here the Github standard which is not everyone's,
but that's where OSS users are today and it's definitely a great place that
encourage collaboration and open source at scale... and it's 100% FREE for
Open source.

So.. What do you think about it ?

I'd be pleased to help in any migration process.

Julien Bouquillon
Long time Cordova fanboy from Paris, France