cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Parashuram N <panar...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Revert Cordova plugins to work with default pinned versions
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:38:53 GMT
I agree that we should have brought this up during the DISCUSS phase.

VS is preparing for a fix in the week of Dec 7 when we are anticipating Cordova 6 with ios9
and marshmallow support.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Gill [mailto:stevengill97@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:46 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Revert Cordova plugins to work with default pinned versions

I think it is more reasonable to get users to explicitly update their cordova-android to 5
than it is to get people who are using
cordova-android@5 now to be explicit about adding plugins versions which are higher than what
npm shows (assuming we set latest back to previous release).

Most people want to and should be supporting marshmallow.

In the case you describe above about installing the camera plugin and it failing, it isn't
a silent failure. Users get notified that the version of camera doesn't support their version
of android and they should update. Users using cordova-android 5 don't get such a nice failure
message for using older plugins that don't support the new permission model.
Instead they realize at runtime. Much worse.

Now, the reason why I am willing to revert the `latest` tag for those 5 plugins (file, media,
camera, contacts, geolocation) to previous releases is the case you brought up in slack. Visual
studio grabs latest plugins and can't get a update out quickly. We can revert those until
we get cordova@6 out.

I think this is more an issue with VS and less with cordova. Cordova should not be backtracking
releases due to downstreams. The discuss thread for plugins came out 19 days ago. We have
been chatting about this release for even longer than that!

If we do this, I want to be very clear that it is a special exception.
Cordova should not be doing this again. It is up to Visual studio to be prepared for releases.
It is not cordova's responsibility.

With pinning plugins landing in cordova@6, this hopefully won't be an issue anymore. I hope
to get cordova@6 out in a couple of weeks. At that time, latest will once again be switched
for those 5 plugins. VS and other downstream, please be prepared for it.

Hi,

The latest Cordova plugin release [1] has some plugins like camera, contacts, files, geolocation,
etc. that require mailto:cordova-android@5.0.0 to work. The latest released version of Cordova-cli
does not pin mailto:
cordova-android@5.0.0, but instead pins cordova-android@4.1.1.

Scenario
- User adds android platform using cordova platform add android - he gets
cordova-anrdoid@4.1.1
- User now adds the camera plugin - cordova plugin add camera - gets the version of the camera
plugin that works only with cordova-android@5.0

This combination does not work and the scenario breaks.

I do understand that there are many folks who are already using
cordova-android@5 for marshmallow support, and that we need to release the versions of plugins
that support marshmallow. However, these folks already add the cordova-android@5.0 platform
by explicitly specifying a version number. Hence, it would be reasonable to expect them to
also add the supported plugins by specifying a version number.
For folks who still add platforms and plugins without specifying version numbers, I think
we should ensure that the scenario continues to work.

Fix
I think the way to fix this issue would be to still have the verisons of plugins that support
cordova-android@5.0 released, but the "latest" should point to the versions that cordova-cli
has pinned.

[1] https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fcordova.apache.org%2fnews%2f2015%2f11%2f24%2fplugins-release.html&data=01%7c01%7cpanarasi%40microsoft.com%7c85b4ca37be3146007dc608d2f5d96bb3%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=r5p4htJsu3KVVOIl1rofr9IPJ5bASs6iubW8Md%2bb2hM%3d