cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Manfred Wühr <manf...@convey.de>
Subject Camera Plugin – iOS: new resizable cropping rectangle
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2015 10:00:03 GMT
Hi all!

Herewith I would like to propose a new feature for the camera plugin:

On iOS there's only that very insufficient inflexible cropping square – compared to Android
or WinMobile – which moreover obviously doesn’t work properly (see CB-9930, CB-2648).
As we need a flexible, sizable rectangle, we implemented that in our fork of the camera plugin.

And with that we even already submitted a pull request:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-camera/pull/131 <https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-camera/pull/131>
(being very new to GitHub and Cordova we didn’t realize, that this obviously has to be discussed
here, before).

To be downward compatible and to not urge others, for whom that square may be sufficient,
it is made parametrizable via a new preference (as this is iOS specific and nothing that has
to be changeable at runtime), defaulting to false.

If the plugin is called with option allowEdit == true, then setting this new preference to
true suppresses that standard (fairly useless) square for cropping the photo, even suppresses
the (then also useless) view of the photo with the "Retake"- and "Use Photo"-buttons, but
instead offers a resizable cropping rectangle (with "Redo" and "Save“).

More detail about how it’s implemented can be found in the comment of the mentioned pull
request;
and as there already started a discussion, I added more detail and thoughts here <https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-camera/pull/131#issuecomment-156117731>.

We think others could use and want that, too – in the standard plug in.
Yes, it is platform specific, but on Android and WinMobile it’s already possible to crop
with a flexible rectangle (somehow – knowing, that Android also isn’t really satisfying).

If the community thinks, it is worth merging to the standard, I will create a corresponding
JIRA issue (and eventually clean up the pull request).

Thanks and Greetings
Manfred