cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Knoll <>
Subject Native vs. File URIs
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2015 19:43:16 GMT
Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody could clarify for me what the difference between FILE_URI and NATIVE_URI
is in the camera plugin. Do we have a clear definition of either? I assumed that FILE_URI
would refer to an actual path on the device (i.e. a URI using the "file" scheme) but the docs
for the camera plugin actually use a content URI as an example. This seems counterintuitive,
especially since the "content" scheme is specific to Android. As it stands, FILE_URI and NATIVE_URI
always return the same thing in Android and can either give a content URI or a file URI depending
on the other camera options that are passed. I think we need to be clear when returning URIs
so that app developers can tell what they have to do with it before they can use it in their
app. Also, it's worth noting that the FILE_URI and NATIVE_URI question is complicated by the
fact that on Android it is possible to pick photos using apps like Google Photos which can
choose files that have no local path. I also would love some clarification as to where "cdvfile"
fits into all of this and the type of support it has across the plugins. This is in regards
to CB-9548, for those interested.