cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Knoll <rikn...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Native vs. File URIs
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2015 17:25:50 GMT
Oh, so does it refer to the location rather than the type of URI? That's fine with me, but
if that is the case than we should still probably be sure that whatever is returned from the
call is of a consistent type (i.e. always using content or always using file).

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Shazron [mailto:shazron@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 6, 2015 5:52 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: Native vs. File URIs

I always thought a native URI was if the image was retrieved from the ALAssetsLibrary (Photos
Album).
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fdeveloper.apple.com%2flibrary%2fios%2fdocumentation%2fAssetsLibrary%2fReference%2fALAssetsLibrary_Class%2f&data=01%7c01%7cRIKNOLL%40exchange.microsoft.com%7c326ecc41750b4739501e08d2e7161af7%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=k5JGWbePhlj4jmLCekW9tZiBlU11sE5cUv%2fr%2bqPMYkU%3d
and the file URI was the image we dumped into tmp.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Richard Knoll <riknoll@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I was wondering if anybody could clarify for me what the difference between FILE_URI
and NATIVE_URI is in the camera plugin. Do we have a clear definition of either? I assumed
that FILE_URI would refer to an actual path on the device (i.e. a URI using the "file" scheme)
but the docs for the camera plugin actually use a content URI as an example. This seems counterintuitive,
especially since the "content" scheme is specific to Android. As it stands, FILE_URI and NATIVE_URI
always return the same thing in Android and can either give a content URI or a file URI depending
on the other camera options that are passed. I think we need to be clear when returning URIs
so that app developers can tell what they have to do with it before they can use it in their
app. Also, it's worth noting that the FILE_URI and NATIVE_URI question is complicated by the
fact that on Android it is possible to pick photos using apps like Google Photos which can
choose files that have no local path. I also would love some clarification as to where "cdvfile"
fits into all of this and the type of support it has across the plugins. This is in regards
to CB-9548, for those interested.