cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Gorkem Ercan" <gorkem.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Announcing Tools for Apache Cordova (TACO) v1.0.0!
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2015 23:33:30 GMT

On 2 Oct 2015, at 18:22, Frederico Galvão wrote:

> Although I see many benefits in the long run with such a tool (and
> thanks
> for making it!) I agree with Gorkem's questioning.

Actually, I do not think all the features of TACO is a good fit to
include in Cordova CLI
I was actually more interested to learn if the ways of the Apache
Cordova project was a
factor on the decision. IMHO complimentary projects with a similar OS
license that are not
built around a product may sometimes indicate a problem with the
community. It sounds like
it is not and I would REALLY be surprised if it was.

> Cordova already has too many names involved around itself (phonegap,
> cordova, cli, platforms, plugman, ionic, to name a few), too much
> confusion
> already lives in what does what. If TACO could live inside CLI, I
> think it
> should.

>> Hey Gorkem, thank you for your wishes!
>>
>> Honestly, as we were developing these tools, there was a continuous
>> discussion whether we should put this in the Cordova-CLI or have a
>> separate
>> set of tools that complement Cordova. The decision was made to have a
>> separate package based on following –
>> •       We feel that Cordova-CLI is build-system, a run-time which
>> enables
>> developers to write hybrid mobile applications using their web
>> skills.
>> Rather than polluting it with extra tools, its best to keep it clean
>> and
>> provide additional capabilities outside it. If there is a feature
>> that is
>> core to the build system, we would definitely propose it for Cordova.
>> For
>> example, we proposed a top-level ‘check-reqs’ command since the
>> platforms
>> were already implicitly doing this. In TACO we have built a feature
>> on top
>> of the ‘check-req’ and extended it to install build-dependencies
>> for
>> individual platforms.
>> •       Another intention was to keep Cordova small and not
>> encumber the
>> base Cordova-CLI with the ecosystem of tools around it.
>> Statistically,
>> every company has few resources (/committers) allocated to the
>> Cordova
>> open-source project and managing these kind of tools (not core to the
>> runtime) might get into ways of making fast & effective changes to
>> Cordova
>> itself.
>>
>> Does that make sense? I am open to suggestions and feedback.
>>
>> Soak
>> Senior Program Manager
>> TACO – Microsoft

>>> ools&data=01%7c01%7cSubhag.Oak%40microsoft.com%7ce3afffee29214d22271b0
>>> 8d2cb4ba500%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=gVO75kqjP2Ak5
>>> 1NDrreZoLF8y3TFbHbfIYsNdlFJd7A%3d
>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fgithu
>>> b.com%2fMicrosoft%2fTACO&data=01%7c01%7cSubhag.Oak%40microsoft.com%7ce
>>> 3afffee29214d22271b08d2cb4ba500%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1
>>> &sdata=9Xj7ZpSgo6GN7oj1PFO7Gg5hgccTcKeukdZv1kiHEsY%3d
>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.n
>>> pmjs.com%2fpackage%2ftaco-cli&data=01%7c01%7cSubhag.Oak%40microsoft.co