cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Gill <stevengil...@gmail.com>
Subject Cordova Face to Face Summary
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2015 22:33:16 GMT
Hey Everyone!

We had a great couple of days in Redmond at the Cordova face to face.
Thanks to everyone who made it out in person and to those of you who joined
in remotely! And a special thanks to Parashuram and the rest of the
Microsoft committers who helped organize and host the event!

The two days consisted of us meeting as a big group and covering all of the
topics on the agenda [1]. Notes from the meeting can be found at [2].

Some of the big takeaways:

 * Cordova needs to become more stable with versioning, improve testing
coverage and making updating easy. Right now our versioning and releasing
leads to users using platforms, plugins and tools that may never have been
tested together. Proposal incoming

* Cordova is struggling with the volume of issues and PRs. It was plainly
obvious at the meeting that we have more issues coming in than we can
currently handle. We need to improve our contributing workflow and do a
better job of mentoring new potential committers to help deal with this.

* We need to improve how we are communicating breaking changes with our
community. Posting blog sooner and make more noise will help. Same strategy
should be applied for architectural changes (like browserify workflow)

* Docs organization, SEO and quality need to be improved. Proposal incoming.

* Need to rally around big goals to help them get to a releasable state.
For instance, we are trying to ship iOS9 support. We need people helping
Shaz close bugs [3]

* Plugin quality needs to improve. This is related to us not keeping up
with pull requests. Plugin audit is coming and we are going to be proposing
deprecating some of the core plugins.

We created many actionable outcomes and follow up points from the meeting.
I will be posting individual threads for many of the topics above and ones
I didn't mention but are in the meeting notes. This will lead to proposals
being submitted to cordova-discuss[4] and issues being created in jira to
track progress.

Feel free to discuss in this thread about any of the topics that were
covered or wait until the individual threads pop up.

All decisions will be made on the list as per Apache policy and we highly
encourage everyone to participate and give feedback on the upcoming
proposals.

Thanks!
-Steve

[1]