cordova-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Steven Gill <>
Subject Re: Cordova Face to Face Summary
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2015 23:55:48 GMT
Going to add a few more actionable items to this thread instead of creating
new threads. People in charge, please create issues/cordova-discuss items
where necessary.

* Telemetry - ping Apache to find out their policy on it (Parashuram)

* Making Cordova extensible by middleware (Nikhil & Jesse to draft design
proposal eventually)

* cordova serve command to be deprecated (Parashuram)

* unified fetch proposal on cordova-discuss for platforms/plugins

* Everyone review unified logging proposal

* Everyone review PlatformApi proposal on android

* Template support proposal for cordova-cli. Post on cordova-discuss

* Plugin running npm install on platform add (Steve)

* add environment variable to set browserify flag on (don't need to always
use --browserify flag). Enable source maps for browserify builds. (Steve)

* electron, not a priority currently, but work slow in progress (Steve/Masa)

* Docs/website/blog separate thread incoming

* Plugins need to have less quirks. Need to remove quirks across platforms
by implementing everywhere or suggesting they move to their own 3rd party
plugin which consumes quirkless apache plugin. More discussion needed.

* Cordova contributor workflow needs to be better. Need to add
guides/screencasts showing how to debug platform + plugins for each
platform. (Joe/Parashuram for android, Shaz/Jesse for iOS, Nikhil for

Think I got it all covered now! Two more threads coming (docs + plugin
pinning/upgrading). Leads, please file issues to track


On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Steven Gill <> wrote:

> Hey Everyone!
> We had a great couple of days in Redmond at the Cordova face to face.
> Thanks to everyone who made it out in person and to those of you who joined
> in remotely! And a special thanks to Parashuram and the rest of the
> Microsoft committers who helped organize and host the event!
> The two days consisted of us meeting as a big group and covering all of
> the topics on the agenda [1]. Notes from the meeting can be found at [2].
> Some of the big takeaways:
>  * Cordova needs to become more stable with versioning, improve testing
> coverage and making updating easy. Right now our versioning and releasing
> leads to users using platforms, plugins and tools that may never have been
> tested together. Proposal incoming
> * Cordova is struggling with the volume of issues and PRs. It was plainly
> obvious at the meeting that we have more issues coming in than we can
> currently handle. We need to improve our contributing workflow and do a
> better job of mentoring new potential committers to help deal with this.
> * We need to improve how we are communicating breaking changes with our
> community. Posting blog sooner and make more noise will help. Same strategy
> should be applied for architectural changes (like browserify workflow)
> * Docs organization, SEO and quality need to be improved. Proposal
> incoming.
> * Need to rally around big goals to help them get to a releasable state.
> For instance, we are trying to ship iOS9 support. We need people helping
> Shaz close bugs [3]
> * Plugin quality needs to improve. This is related to us not keeping up
> with pull requests. Plugin audit is coming and we are going to be proposing
> deprecating some of the core plugins.
> We created many actionable outcomes and follow up points from the meeting.
> I will be posting individual threads for many of the topics above and ones
> I didn't mention but are in the meeting notes. This will lead to proposals
> being submitted to cordova-discuss[4] and issues being created in jira to
> track progress.
> Feel free to discuss in this thread about any of the topics that were
> covered or wait until the individual threads pop up.
> All decisions will be made on the list as per Apache policy and we highly
> encourage everyone to participate and give feedback on the upcoming
> proposals.
> Thanks!
> -Steve
> [1]
> [2]
> [3]
> [4]

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message