cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Nikhil Khandelwal <>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Jira triage
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:12:39 GMT
I am fine with all these recommendations. The key is to be consistent. I have documented this
and more details here:

Let's continue discussion on the PR or this thread. I don't want the process to be heavy-weight
- though my goal is to address few key things:
- Consistent process for JIRA triage
- Accountability for who does JIRA triage? Is it component owner or a rotating duty appropriate
for a tech lead? Either way this is a fair amount of work - but absolutely important for maintaining
high level of quality.
- We identify and raise critical regressions and release patch versions to fix them. I think
we need to respond faster to higher pri issues.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shazron []
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Jira triage

Thanks Steve.
Three recommendations below.

I recommend a "Platform" pre-fix for platform issues. ie rename "iOS", "Android" etc to "Platform
iOS", "Platform Android" (like plugins have a prefix of "Plugin" already).

This however would not prevent people from assigning these components to non-platform issues
however :/ So it will be up to us to triage it appropriately.

I've been treating a "Component" as equivalent to filing an issue against the appropriate
repo (1:1 correspondence).
This makes it easier to focus on a particular repo's issues without the noise of unrelated
plugin issues.

For issues that are related to a platform implementation of a plugin, my recommendation is
to tag it with the component related to the plugin, i.e "Plugin Contacts", then add a label
for the platform "ios". Currently I've been adding it to the Environment field, which may
not be as searchable.

So from our Cordova project search:

(maybe we can alias this to

Add the Component - "Plugin Contacts"
Add the Label - "ios".

You'll get this result:

One component per issue - hard rule. It can start out as a discussion involving more than
one Component, but MUST evolve into multiple issues (or subtasks) -- one per component. I've
seen issues where it affects multiple components and the communication on what has been done
for what platform gets muddled, resulting in inaction for one platform.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Steven Gill <> wrote:
> At the Cordova F2F, some discrepancies were found in how we are
> triaging issues on Jira. Especially in terms of plugin issues and if
> they should have platform related components. This email is to discuss
> the discrepancies and for recommendations to be made and agreed upon.
> According to the F2F minutes[1], Joe, Shaz and Nikhil would lead the
> discussion and make recommendations for the triage workflow. And of
> course, everyone is encouraged and welcomed to participate.
> [1]
> bU%2fedit%3fusp%3dsharing&
> 7b79948b2141e4ff7508d2d8b9393c%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&
> sdata=60eBbnJVRZEa4nHlxOMHmSsHn0I1saLnL4%2bgvuwqhnk%3d

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message