cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Holz <h...@hamburg.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Curating Apps
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:28:10 GMT
I like the slogan: "submit something that helps other developers build a better app“.

I disagree about your app store points, staring, public store, we don’t need that.

And my opion is, that we should promote apps, which are clean or mostly clean from any Framework.

Joerg

> Am 19.10.2015 um 20:11 schrieb Ryan J. Salva <rsalva@microsoft.com>:
>
> The original goal for including the app showcase was to demonstrate that developers can
build rockstar-quality apps using Cordova. I agree that by opening the invitation to anyone
without a vetting process, we fall short of the original goal. Indeed, we might end up with
a throng of hobo-quality apps using any technology under the sun :-)

> At the same time, I don't want to sign up any of the Cordova committers to navigate the
prejudicial question of "what counts as good?" Thus, I like Jörg's proposal that we raise
the empirical bar for entry. App developers need to prove not only that their app is a Cordova
app, but they have to submit something that helps other developers build a better app.

> Here's a straw man proposal intended to provoke response:
>
> Must appear in a public store
> Must use Cordova
> Minimum 4 start rating
> Minimum 1,000 downloads
> Submitter must write a 200+ word blog post answering
> – Which platforms are supported (minimum two)
> – Which plugins are used?
> – Which frameworks are used, if any?
> – Syncing, languages, support for disabled people, …
> – Something about problems
> – Development environment and tools used
>
> Thoughts?
> rjs
>
> Ryan J. Salva  |  Principal Program Manager Lead
> Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova
> rsalva@microsoft.com
> 206 612 5079 mobile

side. People have to say, why Cordova is good, Cordova has not to say why an app is good.

> And, yes, there is a need to have a blog or someting else for helping people and doing
the small, but important, things.

> The most important thing is, that a lot of people starting with Cordova don’t know
a lot about javascript, htlm and css and that is the reason why a lot of questions on SO are
unanswered.

> Jörg
>

>> Am 19.10.2015 um 16:37 schrieb Parashuram N <panarasi@microsoft.com>:
>>
>> I agree with Joerg. The only reason we have curated apps on the page is to show people
that Cordova can be used for building real apps. One perception people have today is that
Cordova and WebView is not fast enough, or that serious applications are written in native
languages.

>> I think that any app on the showcase should emphasize 3 things
>>
>> - The app is pretty good, and feels like native and performs like one.
>> - The app works across multiple platforms, ensuring code sharing
>> - The app is popular, something that our users may have come across, or would like
to try.

>> While it would be great to talk about how the app was built, I fear that it would
be hard to get apps to write all that information. It would actually be awesome if we have
blog posts that has articles from these app authors, describing their experience with writing
Cordova apps.

>> On 10/19/15, 5:46 AM, "Joerg Holz" <holz@hamburg.de> wrote:
>>
>>> I don’t like the phonegap app pages. They are cheap ads for developers, nothing
more.

>>> My proposal is another one. Cordova has two main problems in the public:
>>>
>>> – Are complex apps working well?
>>>
>>> – How is an app exactly developed?
>>>

>>> So, I see a deal: The one, who want’s to be curated on the site has to tell
details about the app.

>>> That means:
>>>
>>> We could curate apps/developers, if they telling someting about their solutions,
for example:

>>> – Which platforms are supported (minimum two)
>>>
>>> – Which plugins are used?
>>>
>>> – Which frameworks are used, if any?
>>>
>>> – Syncing, languages, support for disabled people, …
>>>
>>> – Something about problems
>>>
>>> – Developing enviroment
>>>

>>> A few of the apps are displayed randomly, each in a category (utility, production,
… like in the stores) and there is a list with all apps on a second page.

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Joerg

Apps