cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [Discuss] Cordova-common release
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:40:33 GMT
I tend to agree w/ Carlos here, but from practical side it might be very hard to maintain and
release such a granular modules, for example,
 -  cordova-error has been updated ->Vote -> update cordova-config-parser + Vote->
update + Vote other depended modules
- now we want to add some new feature: modules are very granular so we should introduce a
new module

But I totally love and support Carlos idea regarding grouping meaningful/independent logic
in modules, this is how software must be designed.

I personally think about this new module as some sort of core Cordova functionality and high
level classes which could be used by cordova-lib/cli and platforms -unified CordovaError,
events (output tracing, etc), working with config file, superspawn, etc

Thx!
Sergey
-----Original Message-----
From: Carlos Santana [mailto:csantana23@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2015 6:31 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Cordova-common release

Sorry if I take my inner purist theoretical developer out for a minute :-)

The point of having a "node module" it should be explicit and small, meaning that should be
easy to name in a way that describes what it is or do.

Take into account that "node module" is not the same as a "npm package"

Having 2 npm packages on the npm registry "cordova-common" and "cordova-lib" to the simple
eye would look like duplicate packages, and then will need to answer multiple times "What
is the difference between lib and common?"

Why not have more smaller explicit npm packages instead?

cordova-util
cordova-plugin-info
cordova-error
cordova-config-parser
cordova-config-changes

each one with a index.js exposing APIs

Then the programing model becomes something like this:
var cdvUtil              = require('cordova-util'),
cdvPluginInfo          = require('cordova-plugin-info'),
cdvError                  = require('cordova-error'),
cdvConfigParser     = require('cordova-config-parser'),
cdvConfigChanges = require('cordova-config-changes');