cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Our development process, revisited
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2015 19:45:23 GMT
Hey

So, once again, we're trying to do this 5.0.x thing.  And once again, I'm
finding that I want to create a long-lived 5.0.x branch because that's what
we should do for major releases.  This won't be as long lived as last time
(should be released in early October, before we do our off-site, because
supporting API 23 would be a good thing), but here's some questions.

1. What was the argument against long-lived release branches?
2. Can we get a change in coho to allow for this practice.  It seems to
only support dumping all the things into master, which isn't the right
thing to do.

I know that people wanted to be able to just do dev off master and release
off that, and that master probably should be able to pass all tests and be
in a releasable state, but in reality, we needed to have a release branch
for people to test out BEFORE we do an actual release, so I'm wondering
whether we should make the decision to branch, then move all dev to the
branch, then once we release, rebase that back on master.

I really don't want to re-open this super long debate, but I also want to
get a release out and not screw up Android if we have to rush a CVE.  What
do people think?

Joe