cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Frederico Galvão <frederico.gal...@pontoget.com.br>
Subject Re: [Android] 5.0.x release branch?
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2015 22:09:42 GMT

> > Based on [1] I think we're overthinking here...
> >
> > I might have missed something, but as far as I understood it all, the
> only
> > thing preventing new plugin versions from working on older
> cordova-android
> > based projects is the POSSIBLE FACT that these projects will still
> > have android:targetSdkVersion="N < 23". It's not a sure bet, it's a
> > possibility. My project, for example, will already
> > have android:targetSdkVersion="23" when I upgrade to cordova-android 5.x
> > with all the plugins upgraded too, so even if I only upgraded the plugins
> > it would still work.
> >

> If you only upgrade the plugins, it won't compile because the new plugins
> now call methods in Cordova 5.0.x to handle the permissions in
> Marshmellow.  We didn't remove any API calls, we just added new ones to
> deal with the API changes on Android to deal with the permissions system
> they're rolling out.  That's why this major version exists at all,
> otherwise you would be right, and this would be a non-issue.

That's why I mentioned [1], which you proved incomplete just now.

They won't be compatible because Cordova-Android compiles against API 22,
> and these plugins will require API 23 so that they can detect permissions
> and support Marshmellow.

The reason they won't be compatible is not only because the compilation
target, but also because the new plugins need new methods from
cordova-android@5.

I then take my post back, it was the product of misinformation. I also hope
we don't go the reflection way then :)

> [...]
> proposal for to see how it would look. Adding that info to searching would
> be very beneficial. This is for a separate discussion (possibly f2f)
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Frederico Galvão <
> > frederico.galvao@pontoget.com.br> wrote:
> >
> > > Based on [1] I think we're overthinking here...
> > >
> > > I might have missed something, but as far as I understood it all, the
> > only
> > > thing preventing new plugin versions from working on older
> > cordova-android
> > > based projects is the POSSIBLE FACT that these projects will still
> > > have android:targetSdkVersion="N < 23". It's not a sure bet, it's a
> > > possibility. My project, for example, will already
> > > have android:targetSdkVersion="23" when I upgrade to cordova-android
> 5.x
> > > with all the plugins upgraded too, so even if I only upgraded the
> plugins
> > > it would still work.
> > >

> > If you only upgrade the plugins, it won't compile because the new plugins
> > now call methods in Cordova 5.0.x to handle the permissions in
> > Marshmellow.  We didn't remove any API calls, we just added new ones to
> > deal with the API changes on Android to deal with the permissions system
> > they're rolling out.  That's why this major version exists at all,
> > otherwise you would be right, and this would be a non-issue.
> >

> > > It's common sense for android developers to bump the targetSdkVersion
> > > the latest once a new one comes out, the android APIs are always
> > backwards
> > > compatible, even if it means for the google team to code migration or
> > > compatibility code (which they have always done afaik). If an app
> > developer
> > > is upgrading his plugins on an existing app, there is no obvious reason
> > for
> > > him not to also bump the targetSdkVersion. An app developer will always
> > > want to support the largest and newest devices, it's a larger audience
> > for
> > > them anyway.
> > >

> > Upgrading to 5.0 bumps this automatically.
> >

> > > With that said, I don't think any of the mentioned complexity is needed
> > > (package.json metadata, plugman version tryouts, engine tags in
> > plugin.xml
> > > or reflection). We just need to add hooks to the plugins that check the
> > > targetSdkVersions on plugin_install, and warn the user about this if
> it's
> > > bellow 23.
> > >

> > It's needed for plugins that use permissions.  Most plugins aren't
> affected
> > by this, such as plugins for ad networks.
> >
> > BTW: INTERNET permission isn't one that is prompted.  You can't revoke an
> > app's ability to go online.  I think that's dumb, but whatever.
> >

> > > [1]
> > 22,
> > > and these plugins will require API 23 so that they can detect

API of the

> > > didn't
> > > add
> > > code
 All
> the

> think
> > > is
> our
> more
> > > info

> > registry

> > > user
> > today
> > > in

> > add
> > > an

> of
> controlled
> > use
> F2F
> > on
Cordova
> > > developers.

> > > That's
> > platforms.
> > bump
> > > could
> below.

> > > ideal
> > > couple
> and
> quite a
> > > few

> > engine
> backend
> > > for
> > package.json -

In the plugin
> > > version.
> current

API.

I understand why
> > > we've
build failure.
> One
> > of
> > "I
the platform, I
> > need

> with
the latest version
> > of
> plugin

> > > breaking
has the downsides
> > > that
> > results
> > > in
> > [2]
> > not
version=">=5.0.0"
> > />
> > > '
> scenario.
> > and
> this
> > > is

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2fcordov

> >>c2%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=7apFzmhrtn%2bKulHrNn46
> > > > >> >> > >

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fgithu

> >>34c0605f508d2c3b4b9c2%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=CkH

not be compatible
> > > with

> > > against
so that they can
> > > detect

> > subject
> some
> > > much
> read
> > > and
> > > into.
> > Cordova-Android
> any
Manifest will
> have
> > > make

> > in

> > these

that we need to
> issue
you are ahead of the
> > > curve
I really hope we
> can
> > > use

 We're not
> > and
over when
> > Marshmallow
it or not.  I
> think
> > > we

> 4.x
> > > for
> doesn't
> > > work
> > developers
> the
> > > next

over the current
> > master?
> > > > >> >> > > >

> > > https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fgit

> > > %2fapache%2fcordova-android%2fcompare%2fmaster...infil00p%3asmo

> > > %7cb451a04dccc64fabdb9608d2

happen (boo), but
> > it
> > creeped
> > > readable.

PM

most likely
> getting
> > > Given
> we
Android soon, and
> get
> > > the

is a big deal.
> This
> > is
to make sure they

> > > GitHub
pull the changes
> into
> > > it,
> > > > >> >> > > >

> > > https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fgit

> > > %2finfil00p%2fcordova-android%2ftree%2fsmores&data=01%7c01%7cni

> > > %7c1785194b1f82494fc2d908d2c2c99f36%7c72f988bf86

> > > https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fgit

> > > %2finfil00p%2fcordova-plugin-geolocation%2ftree%2fsmores&data=0

> > > %7c1785194b1f82494fc2d908d2c2c99f36%7

> > > https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fgit

> > > %2finfil00p%2fcordova-plugin-camera%2ftree%2fsmores&data=01%7c0

> > > %7c1785194b1f82494fc2d908d2c2c99f36%7c72f9

> > > https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3a%2f%2fgit

> > > %2finfil00p%2fcordova-plugin-contacts%2ftree%2fsmores&data=01%7

> > > %7c1785194b1f82494fc2d908d2c2c99f36%7c72

for some reason
> > Audio
 I didn't test
> > it