cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cordova-plugin-whitelist ios issue
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2015 00:56:21 GMT
This has nothing to do with cordova-ios being released. Think of it
solely by the plugin's requirements: it requires cordova-android 4,
and cordova-ios 4. I have cordova-android 4, so it installs. I have
cordova-ios 3.9 so it doesn't, and it warns me.

We *will* have this problem later with plugins, guaranteed, we should
not try to hide this problem for our own convenience.

Let's say we took out this engine requirement, and they installed the
plugin on cordova-ios 3.9. Hey the warning goes away, great! But this
is a huge problem, because the code will be installed and it wasn't
meant for your platform, and will probably cause bugs. It is dependent
of a platform version for a reason.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't agree.
>
> I still don't think you understand the issue. I realize you want to
> get "rid of the warnings" but there is really nothing to fix. Nothing
> at all. Users do not have to do anything, you don't have to do
> anything.
>
> If they have cordova-ios 3.x installed - ignore this warning. This
> plugin wasn't meant for your platform.
>

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Nikhil Khandelwal
> <nikhilkh@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> I think the first version of the whitelist plugin was released without the corodva-ios
4.0 check, so that developers do not see this warning because cordova-ios 4.0 was not released.
I agree with Tommy, that the wording of the warning seems to suggest there is a way for me
to fix this issue:
>> "Plugin doesn't support this project's cordova-ios version. cordova-ios: 3.9.1, failed
version requirement: >=4.0.0-dev."

>> However, with this plugin we do not have a way to fix it because ios 4.0 is not released.
>>
>> I suggest we do the following:
>> - Unpublish the version that has a dependency on ios 4.x
>> - Release cordova-plugin-whitelist v2 which has an ios 4.x depdency
>> - In the tools release, that pins cordova-ios 4.x we should ship a cordova-app-hello-world
template that targets v2 of this plugin.

>> Thanks,
>> Nikhil

4.x and cordova-ios 4.x. This is correct for cordova-plugin-whitelist.

>> Like I mentioned before, cordova-android+ios 3.x *do not* require this plugin as
it is built in. Perhaps this could be communicated better, but the warning is generic, and
there's no way to communicate this in an <engine> tag.

>> We could release core plugins that have different core platform version requirements
as well in the future (like android 5 plugin
>> changes) and this will occur again.
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "IMO we should never release a plugin which always emits a warning
>>> that cannot be resolved."
>>>
>>> There is nothing to resolve. The resolution is to ignore it. It's
>>> supposed to warn you, as it is working as expected.

android 5.0 along with the plugin update and there would be a path for people to resolve the
warning.

around this warning. We're getting feedback from customers about this.

that requires iOS 4.0.0. What's the best way to fix it? Can we unpublish this whitelist plugin
version from npm to fix this? Alternatively, we should release another version of the plugin
that does not get this warning. It's misleading and confusing for developers to see this warning.