cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Karen Tran <ktop...@gmail.com>
Subject Android Marshmallow Permissions
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2015 04:28:19 GMT
Hi all,

I've been doing some testing with Android M Preview 3 and with Android API
23 to investigate the behavior I'm seeing with permissions.
I tested older sdk levels with M Preview 3, API 23 with Preview 3, and API
23 with Lollipop.
* If anyone has different results, let me know.

On master, the target sdk level is currently set to 22.
Running mobilespec at this target level on the 3rd Preview, all the
automatic plugin tests passes.
For manual tests, there are also no regressions, however, when testing the
camera, I get prompted for permission.

This is a bit odd because older sdk running on the Preview should use the
old permission model, which is granting permission at install time, not
runtime as stated in the Android documentation.
Another odd behavior is if I accept this permission for mobilespec, I never
have to accept again, even if another app is accessing the camera. I tested
this with another cordova app I made that calls the camera plugin.
The last odd behavior I noticed is when you accept for camera, the camera
app itself opens, so when you take a picture, you don't return to
mobilespec. You just stay in the camera app. This only happens right after
accepting. When you go back to mobilespec manually and use the camera
again, the expected behavior of the camera resumes and your picture shows
up in the yellow box of mobilespec.

The above behaviors also happen with older sdk levels.

Now manually setting the target sdk level to 23, all permissions are off by
default, I don't get prompted for any permissions either when trying to run
manual plugin tests. Of course having no permissions on, certain plugin
tests will fail. Turning them all on manually, everything passes.
Documentation of the new permission model says that we'll need to add some
code to check for permissions and request them.

*On your apps that target the M Preview release or higher, make sure to
check for and request permissions at runtime. To determine if your app has
been granted a permission, call the newcheckSelfPermission() method. To
request a permission, call the new requestPermissions() method. Even if
your app is not targeting the M Preview release, you should test your app
under the new permissions model.*

The cordova permissions we'll need to handle are :
- contacts
- location
- microphone
- phone
- storage

Lastly testing Lollipop and older with API 23 looks fine.

*TL;DR *
Using M Preview with API 22 and older should be using the old permission
model. All tests are passing except some strange behavior with the manual
camera test which prompts for permission at runtime.
Using M Preview with API 23 should use the new permission model where apps
should request permission at runtime. Our cordova plugins will need to be
updated to handle this.
Using Lollipop and older with API 23 should use the old permission model. I
didn't see any problems here.

Regards,
Karen