cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tobias Bocanegra <tri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cordova-osx - mothball
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2015 22:11:04 GMT
btw: I created a pull request that updates the readme and provides the
new node.js based scripts.
https://github.com/apache/cordova-osx/pull/13

and a 2nd pull request to add the osx platform the cordova-lib:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/pull/278

thanks.
regards, toby

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Tobias Bocanegra <tripod@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think there might still be some value of having the cocoa + webview
> approach. looking at the amount of forks of cordova-osx, I assume that
> people wrote plugins that interact in one way or the other with the
> existing code.
>
> electron is IMO great to build desktop applications, but if you want
> to create a mobile like app, I think it's too desktopy. our use case
> is more towards the kiosk mode, where the app needs to run fullscreen
> over several displays (which is not possible using the normal osx
> fullscreen mode) and also has support for multi-touch input (which we
> can nicely inject with a cdv plugin).
> further, our tests have shown that CEF is not so performant as osx
> webkit - at least at the time when we tried it a couple of months ago.
>
> I will provide a PR that makes the current cordova-osx build again
> with the instructions (CB-7143) and the new node.js based cli scripts.
>
> WDYT?
> regards, toby
>

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Toplak Daniel <D.Toplak@cadenas.de> wrote:
>> Yes I don't understand it wrong :-)
>> And my effort into the project is very low at the moment.
>> We will look forward into cordova-electron.
>>
>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
>>
>> CADENAS GmbH
>> Head of Mobile Development
>> Daniel Toplak

aligned with Cordova as it includes node.js support built in (thus you can use node modules
which is a big plus), and already runs on OS X, Windows and Linux. It has also in use by a
lot of companies, thus there is a higher probability of ongoing maintenance:
>> http://electron.atom.io/#built-on-electron
>>
>> In any case, whether through CEF or Atom Electron, to create native plugins you will
still need to bridge the code using C/C++ (unavoidable), the difference would be for Atom
Electron you would structure your code as a node native module, which gives the advantage
that it can be used not just as a Cordova plugin, but as a regular node module outside of
Cordova.

>> [1] http://electron.atom.io
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:13 AM, Toplak Daniel <D.Toplak@cadenas.de> wrote:
>>
>>> As I wrote a few month bevor I am developing a cordova platform based
>>> on the Chromium Embedded Framework (DEF) directly:
>>> https://github.com/hsimpson/cordova-cef
>>> We use this as a development and rapid prototyping platform on Windows.
>>> Theoretically it could be easily extended to OSX and Linux.
>>> It has the advantage to use native plugins to access operating system
>>> functionality.
>>>
>>> The version of the cordova implementation was from iOS and Android
>>> around the version 3.0 or 3.1.
>>>
>>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
>>>
>>> CADENAS GmbH
>>> Head of Mobile Development