cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tobias Bocanegra <tri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cordova-osx - mothball
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2015 17:55:34 GMT
Hi,

I think there might still be some value of having the cocoa + webview
approach. looking at the amount of forks of cordova-osx, I assume that
people wrote plugins that interact in one way or the other with the
existing code.

electron is IMO great to build desktop applications, but if you want
to create a mobile like app, I think it's too desktopy. our use case
is more towards the kiosk mode, where the app needs to run fullscreen
over several displays (which is not possible using the normal osx
fullscreen mode) and also has support for multi-touch input (which we
can nicely inject with a cdv plugin).
further, our tests have shown that CEF is not so performant as osx
webkit - at least at the time when we tried it a couple of months ago.

I will provide a PR that makes the current cordova-osx build again
with the instructions (CB-7143) and the new node.js based cli scripts.

WDYT?
regards, toby

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Toplak Daniel <D.Toplak@cadenas.de> wrote:
> Yes I don't understand it wrong :-)
> And my effort into the project is very low at the moment.
> We will look forward into cordova-electron.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
>
> CADENAS GmbH
> Head of Mobile Development
> Daniel Toplak

with Cordova as it includes node.js support built in (thus you can use node modules which
is a big plus), and already runs on OS X, Windows and Linux. It has also in use by a lot of
companies, thus there is a higher probability of ongoing maintenance:
> http://electron.atom.io/#built-on-electron
>
> In any case, whether through CEF or Atom Electron, to create native plugins you will
still need to bridge the code using C/C++ (unavoidable), the difference would be for Atom
Electron you would structure your code as a node native module, which gives the advantage
that it can be used not just as a Cordova plugin, but as a regular node module outside of
Cordova.

> [1] http://electron.atom.io
>

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:13 AM, Toplak Daniel <D.Toplak@cadenas.de> wrote:
>
>> As I wrote a few month bevor I am developing a cordova platform based
>> on the Chromium Embedded Framework (DEF) directly:
>> https://github.com/hsimpson/cordova-cef
>> We use this as a development and rapid prototyping platform on Windows.
>> Theoretically it could be easily extended to OSX and Linux.
>> It has the advantage to use native plugins to access operating system
>> functionality.
>>
>> The version of the cordova implementation was from iOS and Android
>> around the version 3.0 or 3.1.
>>
>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
>>
>> CADENAS GmbH
>> Head of Mobile Development