cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Darryl Pogue <dar...@dpogue.ca>
Subject Re: Dialogs plugin alignment with W3C notification
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2015 21:45:47 GMT
My problem with the W3C spec is that there is no mechanism for scheduling
notifications. You tell it to show a notification, and that notification
appears on the screen. The API as spec'ed is already supported in
Chrome/Chromium (on Android and desktop), Safari (on desktop), and Firefox
(desktop, possibly Android?).

The local-notification plugin doesn't quite match the W3C spec naming, but
it's close enough that it would be minimal work to make it align. That
still leaves the big question of whether to align with the spec (and
browser implementations) which are largely useless, or to add a
non-standard feature to allow scheduling into the future.
Along with that comes scheduling repeating notifications, and canceling
future notifications, and all sorts of fun problems when you can easily
send your phone into an infinite loop of notifications triggering.

When I've talked to anyone about the gap in the W3C spec, the answer has
always been either ServiceWorkers or the Push API :(