cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tammo Schimanski <tammo.schiman...@cordova.de>
Subject Re: Does Cordova have a problem making developers happy?
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:17:19 GMT
Hello to all of you from Germany,
i never wrote an e-mail to this list before but i want to tell you something about the situation
over here.

I started developing applications with Cordova two years ago. It wasn’t easy to understand
how Cordova works and how it has to be used. The docs didn’t help me enough so that i had
to spend many hours in watching video tutorials on youtube and read many articles about the
cordova workflow.

After i developed applications for over a year, i decided to found a german community which
helps users who feel like i felt a year ago. At the End of 2014 i wrote e-mails to apache,
registered domains and invested many hours in research and writing tutorials, blog articles
and so on. Down to the present day the main Tutorials (iOS & Android) were viewed over
40.000 times. We have about 800 visits a day and are helping all people with their questions
inside the board. Stackoverflow is also a great way to help people but not all german developers
are able to ask a question in english (although you might thought that they are).

My target ever was to help people who are sitting in front of their computers and thinking
„hey… why aren’t you working cordova“ or „why doesn’t it work like expected“?
In spring 2015 my colleague and i decided to make all a bit more professional. We weren’t
satisfied by the website because all was a bit heavy to find (Tutorials etc.) and it was not
state of the art. Again: E-Mails to apache, registered a new domain and now we’re starting
a big project under www.cordova.de (first look for you: www.cordova.de/dev). I had to rewrite
all tutorials, because its still our aim to make it understandable and clear for everyone!
Till now we spent already over 250 hours together for the new project - but it is no problem:
We love cordova! The Project will start at the end of September this year. Cordova is a possibility
for companys creating a new branch. Every websitedeveloper is able to develop applications
with Cordova - but not every Developer knows this. We want to spread cordova to every developer
inside Germany!

So yes, why am i writing you this all? I think, in comparison to you i’m a small person.
If i see all the people here getting e-mails to @microsoft.com, @intel.com and so on…yes,
i’m a small person. I just want to let you know, that if we can do anything from the other
side of the big pond: Please let us know - we’re here, waiting for your instructions :-).

I don’t know if this „Cordova face to face meeting“ is open for all but my colleague
and i thought about coming to that meeting. Only because we’re interested into getting a
deeper look into things and because we both want to get better and better. The better we get,
the better we can help the users in understanding cordova.

Belonging to the topic, Stackoverflow, frustration etc. - i understand Jesse Monroy. A big
problem is that in many cases you just can post links „look here“ „read this“ etc.
and if you give a detailed answer, you’ll never hear something again from that user like
„worked for me“ or „no this doesn’t work“. Thats why we also created a „first
steps in cordova“ guide on our new website in which all mistakes which can be done are explained.

Okay so… at least, sorry if something is unclear or understandable. I hope that it was at
least a little bit interesting for you to get some feedback from Germany.

Greetings from
Tammo Schimanski

E-Mail: 		tammo.schimanski@cordova.de
Phone / Whatsapp: 	+ 49 162 40 98 169