cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Nikhil Khandelwal <nikhi...@microsoft.com>
Subject FW: Github - Ability to add tags to pull requests
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2015 17:51:30 GMT
FYI. In short, we are part of an early access program from github that should allow us to have
better ability to manage pull requests and issues in Github.

https://github.com/blog/2020-improved-organization-permissions

Thanks,
Nikhil

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 7:38 PM
To: Nikhil Khandelwal
Cc: infrastructure@apache.org
Subject: Re: Github - Ability to add tags to pull requests

Hi Nikhil:

This (and related issues with pull requests) are a frequent request from projects. So we have
a number of things going on right now with regards to github that will be of interest, but
won't solve this problem for you (at least yet).

So today, the permissions for Github are pretty coarse, there are essentially three levels:
read, write, and admin.

Unfortunately to do anything much more than comment on a review, you need write level. Currently
we don't have anyone with write level access because the repos are mirrors only. (A subset
of the root@ infrastructure team has admin access to the Apache organization.)

Earlier this year we began exploring the possibility of making Github our canonical repository
(meaning committers would get write access) and while most of the issues we found were solvable,
the current blocker on that Github doesn't expose push logs to us. They feel they have a duty
to protect their users privacy. We feel that we need to see push logs for provenance purposes.
You can see that decision in the April Legal Affairs board report. [1]. We are continuing
the conversation with Github, and have even talked as recently as this week about the situation
as we continue to try and sort it out.

Separately from that, Github is just now starting early access to improved org permissions
that features greatly enhanced granularity of permissions[2], including granting permissions
to manipulate pull requests and issues separate from write access to the repositories.
We've asked, and been told we'll be included in the early access program, but as of yet, that
hasn't yet begun; though we hope it will come to fruition in the coming weeks and we'll start
working on deploying that.

Completely separately from those two - IF the improved org permissions doesn't come about
in a timely manner, or if it doesn't meet our needs, we have some code that authenticates
and authorizes based on the ASF's LDAP service, and then proxies requests to Github using
one of service accounts at Github. We don't want to stand this up service if it's going to
be obviated by Github in a matter of days or weeks.

--David

[1] https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Legal_Affairs.html
[2] https://github.com/blog/2020-improved-organization-permissions