cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Kotikov (Akvelon)" <v-vlk...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Dropping the -dev suffix
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 14:28:17 GMT
Hey, guys.

I've found another reason to drop this while testing cordova-lib with updated dependencies
(see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-9332)

It appears, that starting from 4.x.x semver treats prerelease versions in a very different
way.
For example:

    require('semver').satisfies('5.1.0-dev', '>=0.10.0')   // true with semver@2
    require('semver').satisfies('5.1.0-dev', '>=0.10.0')   // false with semver@4

For more details see https://github.com/npm/node-semver#prerelease-tags and http://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0

As a result of updating semver without removing -dev we'll get a lot of issues with plugins
that has engine tags, referencing our tools.

So I think there are 3 options for us:
1. migrate to semver@4 and drop -dev suffix
2. leave all as is and don't update semver dependency
3. update semver, leave -dev suffix, and add a workaround for engines check (for example strip
out -dev suffix while checking engines)

Any thoughts?

Best regards, Vladimir