cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Kerri Shotts <kerrisho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Best" place to browse plugins
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2015 18:20:28 GMT
Jörg,

I disagree: the move to NPM was a good move. It might not be perfect yet (far from it), but
NPM is apparently moving forward with making search and such easy. The description is an issue,
yes, but that’s also being worked out (and only applies to core plugins — third party
plugins should be just fine). Furthermore, it means that Cordova is no longer responsible
for maintaining a repository, which quickly becomes nontrivial when you have a lot of people
hitting it. NPM has far more resources in this regard than does Cordova.

That said, I’m also all for implementing a plugin page like Gulp, Yeoman, etc. do, even
if NPM gets better searching and the like, simply because, as you say, it gives an overview
that can lead to inspiration. I prefer using Gulp’s list or Yeoman’s list over NPM’s
site, but I’m also glad that NPM is being used to manage the packages. Nearly everything
else I’m doing is on NPM now anyway, so it works out well for my workflow that Cordova’s
plugins are now too. (Never mind that the platforms and the CLI have been there for some time.)

This is completely separate from your issue with “good plugins”. NPM or Cordova’s registry
will make no difference to that — you’re relying upon the skills and goodwill of third
party developers to make plugins for you, and they will all be of varying quality with varying
documentation. That’s a problem with Gulp, Yeoman, and every other tool that allows plugins.
As to verification with versions and platforms, that’s always going to be up to the plugin
owner, not the repository. I don’t really see any way around that as it would always be
hit or miss with third party plugins.