cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Raymond Camden <raymondcam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Best" place to browse plugins
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2015 18:41:40 GMT
Do we have a rough idea of how soon we will see the improvements on the NPM
side? If it is 1-2 weeks, then I don't think it is a huge big deal, but if
longer than that I think we have a problem with our uses. Right now there
are *no* docs if they follow the links from docs.cordova.io. We all know
where the docs can be found, and I blogged on it too, but for new users
this is not ideal, and is pretty critical I think.

Query - if the issue now is that the Markdown used by core plugins doesn't
match the Markdown supported by npm, instead of waiting for npm to fix it,
couldn't we just do the manual grunt work ourselves? I'd happily try to hit
one of the files myself if so.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Kerri Shotts <kerrishotts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jörg,
>
> I disagree: the move to NPM was a good move. It might not be perfect yet
> (far from it), but NPM is apparently moving forward with making search and
> such easy. The description is an issue, yes, but that’s also being worked
> out (and only applies to core plugins — third party plugins should be just
> fine). Furthermore, it means that Cordova is no longer responsible for
> maintaining a repository, which quickly becomes nontrivial when you have a
> lot of people hitting it. NPM has far more resources in this regard than
> does Cordova.
>
> That said, I’m also all for implementing a plugin page like Gulp, Yeoman,
> etc. do, even if NPM gets better searching and the like, simply because, as
> you say, it gives an overview that can lead to inspiration. I prefer using
> Gulp’s list or Yeoman’s list over NPM’s site, but I’m also glad that NPM is
> being used to manage the packages. Nearly everything else I’m doing is on
> NPM now anyway, so it works out well for my workflow that Cordova’s plugins
> are now too. (Never mind that the platforms and the CLI have been there for
> some time.)
>
> This is completely separate from your issue with “good plugins”. NPM or
> Cordova’s registry will make no difference to that — you’re relying upon
> the skills and goodwill of third party developers to make plugins for you,
> and they will all be of varying quality with varying documentation. That’s
> a problem with Gulp, Yeoman, and every other tool that allows plugins. As
> to verification with versions and platforms, that’s always going to be up
> to the plugin owner, not the repository. I don’t really see any way around
> that as it would always be hit or miss with third party plugins.
>

> On May 30, 2015 at 4:49:08 PM, Joerg Holz (holz@hamburg.de) wrote:
>
> I’m a cordova developer.
>
> The idea to move the plugins to npm was a very bad one. No professional
> description, no professional searching.
>
> From a developer view, there is a need to have an overview off all plugins
> - just for inspiration There is a need to have a filter for platforms, the
> maintainer, last update, … and the most important and complicated one: Is
> the plugin checked, checked for platform, checked for version?
>

> Have you ever tried to bring a three wheel selector in a cordova
> application? That is a great job. Sorry for posting a screenshot, but this
> simple wheeler took me one week for working on iOS, Android and Windows.
>
> I tried every plugin, every modification of every plugin, I split the
> platforms … in the end I used mobiscroll and rewrote it for my needs. Just
> for selecting a timespan.
>

> Cordova is great, the most important job for the future is: Let give the
> people the power of cordova by good plugins.
>

> Jörg

Raymond Camden, Developer Advocate for MobileFirst at IBM

Email : raymondcamden@gmail.com
Blog : www.raymondcamden.com
Twitter: raymondcamden