cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Mefire O. <ommen...@microsoft.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Deprecate --usegit flag
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 18:44:23 GMT
Hi list,
I think it's high time we deprecate the -usegit flag, whose intent was to provide apache git
repos as an alternative source to install platforms (the default being npm).

A little bit of background :
In the past, there were two main sources from which to install a platform. You could fetch
the platform to be installed from npm (the default).
Or you could specify that the platform to be installed be fetched from the Apache git repo
using -usegit : `cordova platform add android -usegit`.

There are certain shortcomings to the -useflag :

-        It only works with Apache git repos. It doesn't support custom git repos.

     e.g: It passes if the following is found in platformsConfig.json : `cordova platform
add https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-android.git`

     e.g: the following would fail : `cordova platform add https://github.com/apache/cordova-android.git`<https://github.com/apache/cordova-android.git%60>

-        The code that implements it is complex and prone to bugs. e.g: https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/pull/232

-        The git repo we want to fetch the platform from has to be manually added to the file
platformsConfig.json.

Suggested replacement:
We've been supporting custom git-urls for a while now :

-        https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/commit/811f6f72d74dfd2ca054553ae248f0831235f912

-        https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/commit/4d2059452fa36dd510d9a949e150de840d336e04

Using this feature, we can add platforms from any git repo using the following : `cordova
platform add https://github.com/apache/cordova-android.git`<https://github.com/apache/cordova-android.git%60>
It also supports specifying a custom branch : `cordova platform add https://github.com/apache/cordova-android.git#my_branch`

So, I think this second feature can handle all the scenarios handled by -usegit and much more

What I propose is phasing out the -usegit flag, over the next 6 months.

Please, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mefire