cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Barham <Tim.Bar...@microsoft.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Switch to tilde versions for --save
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 15:23:00 GMT
When we implemented --save for platforms and plugins, we decided to save versions as caret
ranges to be consistent with current npm behavior. However, when we made our pinned platforms
more flexible we decided to go with tilde ranges rather than caret ranges to keep things a
bit more locked down.

I think for consistency we should probably do the same thing with the --save command. It is
very easy for users to get into a situation that bypasses our preferred pinned platform behavior
(which only allows patch updates, not minor version updates) using the --save command, and
the results can be unexpected. I believe internal consistency is more important than consistency
with npm functionality, and will provide a better experience for our users.

Any others have thoughts one way or another?

Thanks,

Tim