cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Barham <>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Switch to tilde versions for --save
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 17:59:39 GMT
Yep, you summarized my thinking on this exactly :).

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Gill []
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Switch to tilde versions for --save

Our thought process to use ~ over ^ for pinned platforms was because we don't have a solid
testing matrix to make sure we are supporting backwards compatibility. If we are all sticking
to semver (which I think we are), we should be able to allow minor updates too.  It is just
safer to allow only patch updates for now until we have that test matrix.

I see the reasoning to make our --save consistent with how we are handling pinned versions.
Until we have the test matrix in place, it is probably for the best.

I would like to see us go back to using ^ once we have our test matrix in place. But we need
to build up to that point and make sure we don't break backwards compatibility with minor
releases. One of the reasons I want us to eventually follow npm's --save model is because
the dreamer in me would like us to eventually support package.json in cordova projects one