cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Gill <stevengil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Should pinned platforms allow for patch updates?
Date Tue, 12 May 2015 22:21:39 GMT
I am totally on board with --save flag saving '^1.2.3' in config.xml since
it mimics the behavior of npm --save. No need to change anything.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should loosen our grips on
platform pinning. As long as we are being semver compliant for all of our
platforms, we shouldn't run into issues.

I like the idea of changing our pins to `^1.2.3` so it respects major only.
It would grab the newest released version of the platform with the same
major. This would only impact new projects or projects that are adding a
platform for the first time. Existing projects would still have to cordova
platform rm PLATFORM and cordova platform add PLATFORM to get the latest
platform.

One of the reasons we originally wanted to keep pinning was so we could
easily help users when they tell us what version of Cordova they are having
problems with. With the ability to add whatever version of platforms via
`cordova platform add windows@VERSION`, knowing the cli version doesn't
give us the details we want. Users can get installed platform versions with
`cordova platform ls`.

If we make this change, we should review our fetch/cache logic to see if it
would grab the latest if an older version exists).

We seem to have a fairly good track record with newer platform versions
working with older CLI versions. Everytime we do a tools release, we could
update the pinned versions to the latest released ones/newest version cli
was tested with at release time. For platform releases, we would have to
test it with the oldest version of the CLI that could potentially pull it
down.

What do others think?