cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Nikhil Khandelwal <nikhi...@microsoft.com>
Subject Cordova 5.0 user feedback - move to npm & whitelist plugin
Date Thu, 07 May 2015 15:55:01 GMT
There is a bunch of confusion with Cordova 5.0 users because of these two changes:

1. Move to npm for plugins (There have been multiple PRs trying to update plugin docs to reference
the old id instead of the new one - because people are still using the old version of the
CLI)

2. No network access in Android 4.0 without whitelist plugin:

              - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-8969

              - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29735597/cordova-5-0-0-android-app-can-not-connect-to-internet-using-android-4-0-0

- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30060534/ajax-requests-fail-after-upgrading-to-cordova-5-0-cordova-android4-0

I think for the (1), I suggest we do the following:

1.       Update the plugin documentation that the old id can be used for older CLI versions.

2.       Either update the CPM with 1.0 versions of the plugins or have the CLI get core plugins
from npm first then CPR even with the old id. Using the old id because they were hardcoded
in IDEs etc, devs are getting older version of the plugins.

For (2), I think we should re-visit making whitelist part of the Android platform again or
some other way of enabling network access by default. No network access (XHR) for a platform
by default is a big change that's not well understood and not necessarily more secure. I'm
new to this, but I did not fully understood the goals of moving the whitelisting to a plugin
instead of it being part of the core.

Thanks,
Nikhil