cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Holz <h...@hamburg.de>
Subject Re: "Best" place to browse plugins
Date Sat, 30 May 2015 21:46:08 GMT
I’m a cordova developer.

The idea to move the plugins to npm was a very bad one. No professional description, no professional
searching.

From a developer view, there is a need to have an overview off all plugins - just for inspiration
There is a need to have a filter for platforms, the maintainer, last update, … and the most
important and complicated one: Is the plugin checked, checked for platform, checked for version?

Have you ever tried to bring a three wheel selector in a cordova application? That is a great
job. Sorry for posting a screenshot, but this simple wheeler took me one week for working
on iOS, Android and Windows.

I tried every plugin, every modification of every plugin, I split the platforms … in the
end I used mobiscroll and rewrote it for my needs. Just for selecting a timespan.

Cordova is great, the most important job for the future is: Let give the people the power
of cordova by good plugins.

Jörg

> Am 29.05.2015 um 02:55 schrieb Gorkem Ercan <gorkem.ercan@gmail.com>:
>

> On 28 May 2015, at 19:41, Murat Sutunc wrote:
>
>> I had some free time today and started working on a plugin search prototype. Currently
it doesn't offer much but it's very similar to what Gulp has.

>> GH: https://github.com/muratsu/cordova-plugin-search
>> Imgur (can't add images to mails :( ): http://imgur.com/sX8oFcJ
>>
>> One problem I've run into is discoverability. Currently we're using the keyword `ecosystem:cordova`
with all of the plugins. Ecosystem is a wider term than plugins and will most likely contain
irrelevant search results.

> It does, I use it and at least all the cordova-platforms appear on the results.
>

>> I was hoping that we switch to using `cordova-plugin` or `cordovaplugin` keyword
going forward for better discoverability. Also for comparison, yeoman uses `yeoman-generator`,
gulp uses `gulpplugin` and grunt uses `gruntplugin`. Thoughts?

> +1.  I guess there is no way to add them for all the existing plugins though.

will essentially get a portal for cordova on npmjs.

>> I also agree in turning plugins.cordova.io into a Gulp & Yeoman style search
page. Probably won't be doing that until our current registry is shut down I imagine.

>> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 7:42 AM, Kerri Shotts <kerrishotts@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> I've used both Gulp & Yeoman's search, and prefer both to NPM
>>> (although it's not difficult to be better than NPM's search).
>>>
>>> I also think close association with the brand and site are important.
>>> For those users who don't know about Node & NPM yet, it's quickly
>>> apparent that there's a large community creating plugins for Cordova,
>>> and for everyone else, we have a URL that helps reinforce the Cordova
>>> name. NPM would still be canonical, of course.
>>>
>>> (Now if NPM improved their search and did some nice work around
>>> ecosystems, perhaps the above wouldn't be necessary. But I'm not going
>>> to hold my breath...)
>>>

>>> On May 27, 2015 at 8:19:35 AM, Tommy-Carlos Williams
>>> (tommy@devgeeks.org)
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1

>>> filter