cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Barham <Tim.Bar...@microsoft.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Should pinned platforms allow for patch updates?
Date Tue, 12 May 2015 13:36:54 GMT
?Currently our pinned platforms are all in the form "1.2.3", which I expect means we'll always
get that exact version. Should we instead use the form "1.2.x" to allow for patches without
having to do a tools release?

BTW... When you add a platform, and we use the pinned version of, say, '1.2.3', if you use
the '--save' flag, we'll save it to config.xml as '^1.2.3', like npm currently doe (in other
words... 'allow any backwardly compatible version'). This means adding the platform later
could end up with a later version (even with the minor version greater than 2 in this example).
Perhaps we need to be consistent here - if we change pinned version to use the form '1.2.x',
then should we save exactly that to config.xml? Or alternatively should we use the form '^1.2.3'
for our pinned version, which will introduce a lot more variation, but will be more consistent
with how semver and npm work?

Thanks!

Tim