cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Parashuram N (MS OPEN TECH)" <panar...@microsoft.com>
Subject Proposal: Expose check_reqs at the CLI level
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2015 18:53:27 GMT
Hi,

One of the main problems a lot of developers seem to have is the issue to setting up their
machines for building various platforms. This came out from the Stack overflow survey, and
the number of questions on stack overflow, twitter. Etc.

I thought it would be helpful to have a check_reqs command exposed at the CLI level. This
is similar to `brew doctor` or `appium doctor`. The idea is

1.       Have a way for the user to see if they have all dependencies (like JAVA_HOME or ANDROID_HOME)
set up? This happens at build time, but moving it out to a CLI level command where you can
run cordova check_reqs (or something similar) would be useful to the users.

2.       Today, the build command shows one error at a time. The check_reqs could run all
the checks, and show a summary of the issues so that the user can fix them all, instead of
fixing one, running build, fixing again, etc.

What does the community think of this idea ? Can we implement a prototype and see if this
is useful to our developers ?
Note that this does not change or break existing functionality - it just exposes the already
existing check_reqs in the CLI. Build will continue to call check_reqs.

Please vote on this proposal, or raise any concerns you may have.