cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Lancina <>
Subject Question about bypassing the run-loop wait/entire bridge for plugins on iOS
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2015 19:18:33 GMT
Hey Andrew,

Just had a quick question about plugins on iOS.  For the keyboard plugin
we're using evalJS to fire an event when the keyboard shows, which by
default waits for the run loop to cycle before executing any JS.  My
question is, would terrible things happen if we didn't wait, or even just
went straight stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString?  I can see from the
commented code (
that there are certain scenarios where it looks like you need to wait, but
was wondering if those are extreme edge cases or regular occurrences.

The reason I'm asking is that we had someone bring up an issue on the Ionic
issue tracker about getting the keyboard plugin to fire quickly enough so
they could animate an element along with the keyboard animation like on
native.  The issue is here:,
but I was hesitant to give them a definitive answer on either bypassing the
wait or not.  It would also be nice to update the plugin if bypassing the
wait isn't an issue in most cases.