cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Platform guides update
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 08:32:55 GMT
Thank you ALL for your notes, going to send first PR for review beginning next week (PS. Travelling,
so can't complete earlier).

-Sergey
-----Original Message-----
From: Homer, Tony [mailto:tony.homer@intel.com]
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2015 12:03 AM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: Platform guides update

I have more of a general topic - cordova-windows vs. cordova-wp8 in the docs.
Hopefully most of us on the list understand the distinction, but there is still a lot of confusion.
There are some places where the docs could help make the distinction a bit clearer.

For example, in the plugin development guide, the list of native interfaces includes Windows
Phone 8 plugins and Windows plugins.
For those of use in the know, Windows Phone 8 maps to cordova-wp8 and Windows maps to cordova-windows.
However, many users read those bullets as the native platforms, not as the cordova platforms.
It would be nice to make this distinction as clear as possible.

Similarly on the platform guides page it would be great to clarify the difference between
the cordova windows platforms and the native windows platforms.
This has been done very nicely on the Windows platform guide page, but there is nothing to
help users on the top-level platform guide page.
Also on the Windows Phone 8 page, it would be nice if there was a notice at the top helping
users know that they probably want to look at the Windows guide for Windows Phone 8.1 development.

I see this as an important customer-facing issue - I¹ve had recent conversations with people
that want to support Windows Phone in plugins and think they should be using C#.

Sorry I¹m not as succinct as Shazron :p