cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Horn, Julian C" <julian.c.h...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Introduction for Julian Horn
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2015 19:13:08 GMT
Well, I can see that this is kind of a philosophical disagreement.

Today having two <script> tags for cordova.js is defined to be an error.  As such the
current behavior of cordova.js is correct.  But you could just as well have said that it's
not an error.  I think that's a better choice.

I've spent most of my career working on software development tools for various languages.
 Generally we try to minimize uncheckable constraints or "gotchas" when we can.  This makes
things a little harder for a few tools vendors and a little easier for large numbers of developers.
 That's usually an easy decision to make.

When you create a new Cordova project in the Intel XDK, we provide a template that includes
a script tag for cordova.js.  This means the only way you can lack the tag is if you delete
it (or import a project that was missing the tag).  That's a great thing: it makes it much
less likely that users will forget to include cordova.js and wind up wasting hours looking
for an explanation.

However, the opposite mistake does still happen. People don't read the entire template (why
should they?) and think they have to add the tag themselves.  That's how new users sometimes
get into this situation.  We would like that not to be an error; it just makes things a little
smoother and more forgiving, which is our goal.

I will certainly submit a pull request.

    Julian