cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Android] Proposal: Deprecate/No-Op Battery Plugin
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2015 02:37:22 GMT
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 7:26 PM Raymond Camden <raymondcamden@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey
> >
> > So, right now our current Battery Plugin on Android is actually
> considered
> > harmful to devices and shouldn't be used.  It seems that the Chrome team
>
> Um, really? I've never heard this. There's nothing on the plugin doc
> page about it being "harmful". Maybe that is a bad choice in words (or
> maybe I'm reading too much into it ;), but I have a hard time
> believing a plugin that is listed as one of the core would be
> dangerous and there be *nothing* in the docs about that.

If you use the Battery plugin on Android, it will drain your battery.  It's
been a known issue for almost a year, and there's been this issue in JIRA:

Basically, this was implemented to an older, outdated spec, but if you
implement this plugin in Java this way, it drains the battery.  This is
observable if you are leaving an app running over the period of a few
hours, so only a few users would actually see this.  In fact, there's
probably no good reason to even use this plugin as it exists currently in
your application since there are other issues with it.

Can you give
> some detail about this? Wouldn't a truly dangerous plugin get doc
> updates pretty much immediately so folks can know to avoid it?

No, because someone has to actually update the docs to do that, and they'd
be subject to the Apache release process.