cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject [Android] Proposal: Deprecate/No-Op Battery Plugin
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:46:23 GMT
Hey

So, right now our current Battery Plugin on Android is actually considered
harmful to devices and shouldn't be used.  It seems that the Chrome team
has implemented the Battery Spec in Chromium 38.  This can be tested with
this simple JSBin here:

http://jsbin.com/battery-status-test

The problem is that Android WebView on Lollipop that's installable from the
Play Store is at 37, and of course I don't even have to mention earlier
Android versions that we support, some of which don't even support Chromium.

However, the latest Crosswalk does support the Battery Spec, so we have two
1. Implement a plugin for the non-Crosswalk use case, knowing that it'll be
obsolete for Future Android.  We always intend to do this, but this never,
ever happens.
2. We drop support the Battery Plugin for Android since nothing in this
case is better than something that's actively draining your battery.

What do people think of this?

Joe