cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Gill <stevengil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plugins to NPM (Phase 1)
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 00:16:07 GMT
On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Treggiari, Leo <leo.treggiari@intel.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the information Steve.  That helps with our planning.  I have a
> couple of follow-ups.
>
> > We don't necessarily have to do a major bump
> > for the CLI. We could easily save the major jump until we switch npm
> > fetching as default (approx July 1)
>
> Re: the major bump.  This seems like a "delayed" breaking change.  That
> is, when CPR is removed, all prior CLI releases will be "crippled" to a
> significant degree since no <pluginid> reference will be able to be
> resolved.
>
> Re: ~July 1:  Would you verify my understanding?  For a <pluginid>
> reference which is not in the mapping table, from ~Apr to ~July 1, CPR will
> be tried first and if that fails then npm.  From ~July 1 to ~Oct 1, npm
> will be tried first and if that fails then the CPR.  After ~Oct 1, only npm.
>
> Timeline is correct. Once again we will try to keep CPR up as long as
possible. But with nodejitsu being bought by godaddy, we have a finite
amount of time.

July 1st we would switch CPR to read-only in an effort to get plugin
authors to migrate over to npm.

As we get closer to CPR shutdown date, we will take a look to see if it
makes sense to auto redirect all requests to CPR to npm. Not sure what
would be involved yet, but I think it will be doable. I'd rather us focus
on trying to get users to upgrade + help plugin authors migrate for now.